It’s been a while, almost two years now, since my last post. Phew, let’s see how that happend (excuses, excuses..) and what’s happening in the future.
Pretty soon after my latest entry I went on a trip around the world for about 6 month and even though I fully intended to write weekly posts about cool stuff I did/encountered, I ended up not writing a single new entry. The trip was the best thing I’ve done in a long time though, so it definitely was worth it!
And once I got back, I was nearly overwhelmed by work. A lot of old projects needed maintenance and then a couple of big new projects came along and I simply lost sight and the interest in my blog. There was so much to do and so little time.
Now, two years later, I’ve re-discovered my interest for blogging/sharing and will try to do so on a more regular basis. Maybe actually do it once a week like I originally intended or at least a couple of times per month. They’ll probably not be the most extensive posts, but I’ll do what I can to keep them interesting.
So what’s going on right now/what has changed since my last post?
- I’m still self-employed and working as a freelancer for serveral smaller companies/agencies. Even though I don’t need to be in any office or so and could easily work from any place I want to, I usually tend to stay at home and work from there. It’s what I’ve gotten used to and gives me the most flexibility in terms of working hours. I know there are quite a few people out there who can not work from home, because they get either easily distracted or want to keep work seperated from their private life. Both points I can understand, but so far it’s been working out fine for me…who knows for how long that’ll be the same :)
- The site is at an all time high in terms of fake registration…
- …and at a near all time low in terms of actual user activity. I guess I’ll have to spam some links on Twitter or so to get the traffic flowing again :)
- I’ve switched from Prototype to jQuery. It’s been overdue for a long time and I’ve used the past year or so to get used to it and refine my skills. Absolutely loving it so far, so be prepared for a couple of jQuery related posts!
- CodeIgniter 3.0 is still in beta/not released yet and it’s been like this for at least a year. I’m not sure what’s up with that, but I’m using it for all my current projects and it’s working like a charm.
- I’m looking for a new PHP framework to base my projects on. CI has been fun, but I think it’s time to broaden my horizon and find something new/more advanced to play with. Laravel 4 looks really good, I think I’ll give it a try.
- I’ve finally made the transition from SVN to Git. I have to admit I’m still not 100% sure about some things like branch management and such, but I’m getting there…I hope :) Most of my new projects are already hosted as private repos on Bitbucket and I want to start actually contributing to some open source software I’m using and give my own projects (mostly JS) a room for display. So keep an eye on my Github and Bitbucket profiles.
- Inspired by some of the comments about my inital “Dev-Box” post, I’ve started experimenting with Virtual Box. Supposedly you can use the same VM on both Windows and Mac (which is important since I do work on both my MacBook and my Windows desktop machine and I want to share the development environment between them) and once I get the shared folder thing figured out, I’ll post a lengthy tutorial on how to get it all set up.
I think that’s it for now. Not too much after all, damn.
So here’s to more frequent updates on interesting topics! Cheers!